What Makes MPTC Different?
The Maryland Proton Treatment Center is a state-of-the-art facility offering the east coast’s only fully integrated system of image-guided proton therapy (IGPT) and intensity-modulated proton therapy (IMPT).
The Most Advanced Treatment Available
The center is also one of only a few proton therapy facilities in the country to feature the advanced “pencil-beam scanning” technology in every treatment room. Pencil-beam scanning technology essentially paints the radiation onto the tumor like a 3-D printer for pinpoint accuracy.
Thermal therapy, or hyperthermia, will be available at the center in Spring 2018. Thermal therapy uses heat to make tumor cells more sensitive to radiation, enhancing the effects of proton therapy. MPTC is the first center in the nation to offer thermal and proton therapy under one roof. MPTC’s thermal therapy program is led by physician Zeljko Vujaskovic, MD, PhD, who received the 2016 J. Eugene Robinson Award from the Society for Thermal Medicine for his contributions to hyperthermic oncology.
The University of Maryland Relationship
MPTC patients experience seamless, extensive cancer care because of MPTC’s affiliation with the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC), an NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center. This status means that UMGCCC is one of fewer than 50 premiere cancer research centers in the country. MPTC’s services are led by an experienced team of physicians at the University of Maryland School of Medicine’s Department of Radiation Oncology.
Our Expert Team
Advanced technology and resources are best operated with a team of leading experts. Our high-quality, diverse team consists of top level radiation oncologists, dosimetrists, physicists, therapists, anesthesiologists, radiologists, nurses and nurse practitioners with specialized training in the treatment of proton therapy patients. You can be confident that you are being taken care of by a world-class team of experts who are involved in cutting-edge research and clinical trials to ultimately help diagnose, treat and prevent cancer.
Better Access to Care
MPTC is also committed to giving our patients the greatest access possible to this life-saving treatment.
MPTC has proactively worked with insurance companies to offer proton therapy at the same rate as traditional radiation offered at the University of Maryland called IMRT. We will work directly with your insurance company or Medicare to discuss your coverage options. Learn more about insurance here.
Proton Therapy at MPTC
The care you receive at MPTC is second to none. The benefits you’ll experience before, during and after your treatment with us include:
- Cutting-edge proton therapy for precise, painless cancer treatment
- Advanced, pencil-beam scanning in all five treatment rooms
- Comprehensive cancer care services led by an experienced team of physicians at the University of Maryland Department of Radiation Oncology
- MPTC offers proton therapy at a cost neutral rate to the more conventionally available intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Access to clinical trials, which are research studies designed to test promising new therapies, often years before they are in widespread use
- Complimentary parking and concierge services available for all patients
- Quick appointment times – patients are often seen within two days or less after receipt of our required records
Talk to us today about the MPTC difference for your cancer treatment.